2008 – Present: Partner at Michalsons
John’s specialities include: Critical thinking to reach clarity. Making complexity, simple. Documents, discussions, processes, and laws are often very complicated – they don’t have to be. Helping people understand the implications of laws. Analyzing a situation to work out a practical course of action. Syncing body, mind and soul while surfing.
John is currently providing various practical corporate and ICT legal services, including:
- Helping various organisations to comply with POPI, from dual listed multinationals to start-ups. In various industries, including retail, financial services, marketing, healthcare, manufacturing, and mining.
- Running workshops and presenting to thousands of people.
- Drafting and reviewing agreements, policies, checklists, templates, guides, reports, action plans, lists, registers, frameworks, letters, briefings, and opinions.
- Running projects to convert hundreds of legal documents to plain language.
- Auditing various companies for compliance.
- Running many large projects on IT GRC, information security, and records management.
- Helping organisations to address the legal aspects of IT Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) in a practical way to real issues.
- Advising on the law regards marketing (including internet marketing) and advertising, including competitions and sponsorships.
- Working with direct marketers.
- Advising on the practical use of electronic signatures and the law regards electronic and automatic processes.
- Advising on the law regards email.
- Providing legal services regards digital or new media.
- Advising on source code escrow arrangements.
- Drafting MOIs and Shareholder Agreements.
- Dealing with issues relating to intellectual property, especially copyright and confidentiality issues.
- Conducting various IP audits.
- Assisting organisations to comply with their obligations to provide access to information.
- Finding solutions for technology start-ups.
- Resolving domain name disputes, including transfers and disputes
2000 – 2006: Partner at Harty Rushmere Attorneys
John provided a broad spectrum of commercial and IT legal services relating to:
- High value, complex end-to-end commercial technology transactions, including transactions involving software and services, enterprise resource planning (ERP) implementations, outsourcing, on-demand hosted solutions, and Software as a Service (SaaS). He advised large multi-national technology vendors (so is aware of international best practice) as well as small start-ups. He has also helped companies that procure technology and technology users.
- Marketing (including internet marketing) and advertising, including competitions and sponsorships.
Supplier, channel, and collaboration and teaming agreements.
- The legal aspects of tenders.
- Commercial deals of all types, including black economic empowerment deals.
- Commercial transactions, such as sale and shareholder agreements.
- Gaming, both traditional and online.
- Electronic and mobile commerce, and the Internet, including web site terms.