Find the data protection laws, Acts and regulations in the various different countries around the globe. Almost every country has one and those that don’t are enacting them fast. The new data protection laws of 2018 are highlighted in the list so that you can find them quickly. It is important to know what data protection laws apply in different countries. We list the most important jurisdictions and provide a link to the data protection law in that jurisdiction.
We have not done an extensive report on the differences between all of these laws because we believe that the common 80% is much more important than the 20% differences. Our data protection compliance programme is based on the common overlap amongst these laws.
List of Data Protection Laws, Acts or Regulations around the Globe
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (replaced the EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC) Key Insights
- ePrivacy Regulation on Privacy and Electronic Communications (PECR). (New)
- Irish Data Protection Act 2018 (which replaced the Data Protection Act 1988) (New)
- Malta Data Protection Act 2001
The United Kingdom
- United States
- Canadian Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
- Argentinian Personal Data Protection Act
- Brazilian General Data Protection Law (in Portuguese) (New)
- Bermuda Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA)
- South Africa Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act) Key Insights
- Mauritian Data Protection Act 2017, which replaces the Data Protection Act 2004 (New)
- Various Data Protection Laws of Africa
Australia and New Zealand
- Indian Personal Data Protection Bill 2018 (New)
- The APEC Privacy Framework and the OECD Privacy Framework
- Japan Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) (New)
- Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
- Isreali Protection of Privacy Law 2014
Other places to find a Data Protection Law, Act or Regulation
You can also download a Global Table of Data Privacy Laws and Bills and DLA Piper has a world map. You can also find a list of data protection authorities, commissioners or regulators.