Is it your responsibility to draft, negotiate and manage the commercial IT contracts for your organisation (whether you’re an IT vendor or user of IT)? It can be a frustrating process taking months to finalise each contract, especially IT contracts due to their unique nature. Many organisations are dependent on IT to operate, which makes the contracts regulating the relationship with those IT vendors that provide the IT critical. A key part of the governing body’s responsibility to govern IT is to ensure that management manages IT adequately and efficiently – this is partly done through having great contracts that relate to IT.
Having drafted, negotiated and managed hundreds of IT Contracts for more than 20 years, we can help you do it more effectively, saving you time and money. Good contracts are an essential part of building good relationships, managing risks and avoiding disputes.
We offer a seminar, webinar, workshop, or executive briefing on this topic presented by an expert with practical experience.
What do we cover?
- The process of sourcing and reaching agreement, including RFPs, letters of intent, joint ventures, teaming and heads of agreement.
- Defining the nature of the relationship, software as goods or a service, agent or distributor.
- A discussion on key clauses dealing with things like limitation of liability, intellectual property, penalty clauses, software escrow, non-variation and dispute resolution.
- How to structure contracts for flexibility and to manage risk.
- The role of service level agreements.
- The benefits of using plain legal language.
- The laws that have the biggest impact, including consumer protection and data protection laws.
- The parties (and witnesses) signing IT Contracts, including using electronic signatures.
- Managing templates and instances created from them, including change control.
- Know how to draft, negotiate and manage IT Contracts.
- Apply your knowledge in your organisation to re-engineer your contracts and streamline the related process.
- Save time by signing IT Contracts faster.
We will provide attendees with:
- course notes, including action items,
- a link to an electronic copy of our presentation, and
- some template or sample contracts and clauses.
Who should attend? Why?
- Legal Advisors (corporate lawyers or in-house lawyers) – to save time and reduce their workload
- Contract Managers – to effectively manage IT Contracts and SLAs
- Procurement managers – to procure the right IT goods or services
- IT Directors or managers – to direct or manage the buying of IT goods or services
- Supply chain managers – to ensure the IT component of supply chains runs smoothly
- IT Vendors, solution providers, VARs, agents, distributors and consultants – to contract with their customers
Who is the Presenter?
A practical attorney from Michalsons. We will ensure the attorney is the best person to present the course depending on the type of course, the date, the specific issues and the attendees.
How long is it?
We provide this course in different formats. Public and private sessions can last for anything from 45 minutes, half a day or a full day. We also provide eCourses that can be done via the Internet at your convenience. We welcome enquiries for more information and details.
Our workshop will help you practically and effectively draft, negotiate, sign and manage IT Contracts. The cost of one delegate is R3,920 (excluding VAT). We have workshops scheduled in the following cities:
We have not yet set dates for our next public workshops. If you’d like to attend a public workshop on this topic, send us an email asking us to set a date in your city.
Two or more qualifies for a 10% discount. We will serve refreshments. We limit delegate numbers, so bookings are done on a first come, first served basis. We aim to give practical insights that you can use to be effective. We do not give law lectures! We will refund you, if you do not think you received value.
We are happy to hold the event at your venue. If you want a personal in-house session at your offices, please contact us for a quote.