We have gathered a lot of knowledge and advised many organisations, large and small, for over 35 years about labour and employment law issues, including:
- providing clarity and legal certainty by researching and drafting legal opinions on labour and employment law issues;
- empowering our clients by providing easy-to-understand labour and employment policies and agreements;
- advising clients on some of the latest laws, including data protection laws and anti-bribery and corruption laws that they are subject to;
- reviewing the policies of JSE-listed entities;
- empowering managers to maintain acceptable standards of conduct and performance by advising them;
- raising awareness about the latest legal developments by creating and developing the GilesFiles website since 2008;
- resolving disputes by handling our clients’ alternative dispute resolution processes and investigating employee grievances and potential breaches of standards;
- managing risks by providing forensic assistance in identifying potential risks;
- resolving disputes between an employer and their employees by representing the employer in legal forums such as the CCMA and labour court; and
- raising awareness by conducting workshops and training for managers on labour and employment law issues.
We have a more comprehensive list of the matters we have worked on that is available on request.
Our clients are situated all over South Africa and include marketers, retailers, financial institutions, financial advisors, insurers, software companies, health care providers, the media, industry bodies, pension funds, directory providers, and many others.
How you Benefit
- Get a new employment contract template (made up of a letter of appointment template and a personnel handbook) that is up-to-date complying with the latest law by asking us to provide you with one.
- Check whether your existing employment contract template is legally sound and up-to-date with the latest law by asking us to review it.
- Protect your business by getting employees to sign enforceable restrictions and restraints of trade that comply with the latest court judgments.
- Terminate the employment of an employee who is not performing or whose conduct is unacceptable in an effective way whilst still complying with labour law by asking for our assistance. We can provide you with the necessary documents, coach you through the process and answer your questions.
- Resolve employment disputes faster by asking us to advise you on how to conduct disciplinary procedures correctly.
- Protect your interests, such as intellectual property and confidential information, by requiring employees to sign an exit letter before they leave. We can draft an exit letter template for you.
- Understand the impact of amended labour laws by attending our seminars, workshops, webinars or executive briefings.
- Protect your interests and rights and those of your employees using our specially-developed employment policies, procedures, and all other templates for the workplace.
- Avoid disputes by asking us to draft a simple Disciplinary Code and Procedure for you.
- Negotiate and conclude collective agreements by asking to advise you.
- Avoid labour practices that may be regarded as unfair by asking us to help you comply with employment equity laws and issues regarding equal pay for equal work.
- Comply with the law and with your business needs when paying your employees, by asking us to analyse and report on your organisational and remuneration structure.
- Appoint a director correctly by asking us to draft a letter of appointment for them.