We can provide a short Letter of Appointment (LOA) and a comprehensive Employment Handbook template. The Handbook has two parts:
#1 standard terms of employment; and
#2 policies, practices and procedures.
Contracting with employees is simplified by providing employees with a simple individual letter of appointment (LOA) that incorporates by reference #1 of the Handbook (terms of employment). As #2 does not contain terms of employment it may be updated as and when necessary without obtaining the consent of employees.
There are crucial matters to include in an Employment Handbook template. For instance you should ensure that:
- confidential and personal information is protected;
- intellectual property created by employees is protected; and
- rules and policies are consistently and fairly applied.
Recent amendments to the Labour Relations Act (LRA), Employment Equity Act (EEA) and Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) require compliance managers and employers to revisit all employment contracts. Discrimination is forbidden but that does not prevent ‘differentiation’ in terms and conditions of employment, including remuneration and benefits.
The templates ensure that employees know and understand:
- What is expected during a trial or probationary period.
- Whether employment will thereafter be indefinite, and the agreed notice period.
- That fixed-term employment may be linked to projects or operational requirements.
- Essential particulars of employment as required by the BCEA.
- Applicable rules and standards of conduct and performance.
- Nature and extent of their privileges and responsibilities.
- Rewards by way of remuneration and benefits.
- Occupational levels and job grades within the enterprise.
- Nature and extent of confidentiality during and after employment.
- Lawful termination of employment for a valid and fair reason.
- Procedures for dealing with grievances and disciplinary issues.
- Need to impose restraints against unfair competition.
- Who owns intellectual property they may create.
We provide ‘flexible’ templates for South Africa to engage the services of employees and cover all the issues referred to above.
Employment Handbook template
The Employment Handbook and LOA templates include:
- Individual details of the ‘cost to company’ package and occupational level;
- Contractual Terms; and
- Employment Policies, Practices and Procedures.
The main purpose is to:
- Determine the nature and extent of the employment relationship;
- Comply with sec 29 of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act;
- Comply with the Employment Equity Act;
- Determine when agreement is needed for any changes;
- Provide a general framework and guidelines to prevent discriminatory practices;
- Ensure that employees know and understand the expected standards of performance and conduct;
- Ensure fair and consistent treatment of all employees;
- Incorporate the principles of fairness and natural justice; and
- Prevent unfair or unlawful treatment of employees.
Knowledge, understanding and experience
- Substantial legal skills: Our templates are crafted by a practising attorney and notary and textbook author with abundant knowledge and practical experience who knows what ‘works’ after having been a internal legal adviser, part-time professor of law and senior lecturer.
- Decades of experience: Our team has spent years developing these practical templates after working with hundreds of enterprises. We know what works and what does not.
- Plain language: These templates are drafted in plain and understandable language.
What Employment templates do you get?
You will receive a comprehensive set of documents in plain language and editable format comprising:
- Sample Letter of Appointment (LOA);
- Part one of the Employment Handbook (Terms); and
- Part two of the Employment Handbook (Policies, Practices and Procedures).
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.