Are you looking for in-person POPI Act training or POPI online training or eLearning? The POPI Act is a new law in South Africa and there are many people who need awareness training on the POPI Act. Are you in the process of creating an awareness and training programme? There are various different groups of people who need to know different things about the POPI Act. For example:
- People who actually process personal information as part of their daily work duties (like customer-facing employees) need specific training.
- Sales managers and marketers need to know about the marketing aspects of the POPI Act (with a focus on direct marketing issues).
- Call centre and helpdesk agents need to know how to deal with customer queries and complaints.
- IT managers and Information Security Officers need to know the implications for information security.
- HR managers need to know about protecting the personal information of employees.
- Trustees of pension funds must protect beneficiaries.
It is crucial that the POPI Act awareness training is suitable and specific to the audience. But above all, it must be practical. It is important that the training adds value to your organisation. Training that is relevant to your organisation and that will address your specific issues. Your employees time is valuable and we want to make sure they spend it wisely. We contextualise our training and explain why people are attending and why things need to change (if things do need to change).
The place to start is to identify:
- who needs to be trained (your target audience),
- what are the outcomes you want to achieve with the training (what should they know).
Once you have identified this, you can decide how best to achieve it.
In-person or online POPI Act Training
We offer both traditional face-to-face and online training. We have a lot of content that can be presented in various ways. We use many different methods to train people, from videos, to assessments, to questionnaires, to exercises. Many organisations want the initial training to be done in-person, with follow up training being done online.
How we can help you
- Plan and manage your information security and privacy awareness and training programme by asking for our advice (which sometimes involves a workshop).
- Raise awareness amongst your employees on specific issues by asking us to provide you with online training or e-learning (and customise it if necessary).
- Raise awareness amongst your employees on specific issues by asking us to facilitate face-to-face in-person training.
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.
What it achieves
Our POPI Act training:
- enables you to demonstrate to your customers and the Information Regulator that you protect personal information,
- educates employees on the company POPI Policy or Acceptable Use of IT Policy,
- integrates information-handling practices into day-to-day business activities,
- sets up campaigns (e.g. posters, email) as well as “role-based” training.
Our training is aimed at different audiences, as different audiences have different needs on what they should be doing.
The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act) requires that “appropriate, reasonable” measures be taken to protect information from loss, damage or unlawful access (as does the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard and ISO 27001). This implicitly requires companies to provide training to help employees understand what those measures are (security experts often say that staff (insiders) are the biggest threat to personal information, and the list of breaches maintained by the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse is dotted with incidents resulting from employee mistakes). This is particularly important as the law requires the company to notify the Regulator and data subject of security breaches.
What this training is not
Please note that the training described on this page is awareness training for people who process personal information – it is different to our Data Protection Workshop and our POPI planning workshops, which involve mapping activities and identifying implementation actions. These workshops are for managers, leaders or decision makers who plan and implement controls to protect personal data.
One idea to raise the awareness of POPI (and other IT laws like the ECT Act, or RICA) and the importance of protecting personal information is to put up posters. You can get some free information security awareness posters and a privacy awareness toolkit off the Internet, but they are not specific to the POPI Act. We also provide a variety of posters for a specific IT or ICT Law (ECT Act, PAIA, POPI, or RICA) to raise awareness about the law. We can provide samples on request.