The laws that apply to marketing and advertising have recently changed dramatically. The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) is also going to have a huge impact, especially on direct electronic marketing.The Consumer Protection Act (CPA) has commenced and it has a huge impact – the playing field has changed. These laws have a big impact on all forms of marketing and advertising, including direct, digital, online, social and mobile.
We offer a seminar, webinar, workshop, or executive briefing on this topic. Get a working understanding of the laws and rules that apply to marketing. Get up-to-speed quickly.
- Be aware of and get a working understanding of the latest laws that relate to marketing and advertising.
- Understand the practical impact on you.
- Learn how to market to people lawfully and enhance your reputation by doing so.
- Learn how to comply with your privacy obligations and avoid liability for non-compliance.
- Be able to answer the questions of (and service) your clients.
What do we cover?
- The relevant sections of the Consumer Protection Act, including the consumers right to privacy and direct marketing
- The relevant sections of POPI
- Relevant sections of the ECT Act – what do the amendments mean for you?
- Relevant Codes of Conduct – do you have to comply?
- What is the overlap with the National Credit Act?
- How do the laws affect direct marketing
- What is the impact on email and SMS marketing?
- Unsolicited electronic communications – Opt-in or Opt-out?
- Know when unsolicited communications are lawful
- Collecting personal information
- When can you market directly by electronic and physical means and to whom?
- Promotional Competitions under the CPA – the new position
- Competition rules – a template for your competitions
- Marketing websites and the legal considerations
- When a retailer displays the wrong price
- Take Home Points and Action items
We will provide attendees with:
- a link to an electronic copy of our presentation,
- our POPI Mapper – a tool to map activities,
- a list of POPI Action Items so that the session translates into practical action, and
- an audio recording of the event (private sessions only).
We present private, in house workshops to you at your premises. Mail our support desk (email@example.com) to get in touch to discuss a suitable date.
We also offer this in the form of an executive briefing. Executives must have a high level understanding and how it will affect their organization. They must lead the development of successful compliance programs or projects and be able to explain them to boards of directors, investors, business partners and the general public. The briefing will help executives leverage their compliance efforts into positive public relations and business benefit. It is a shortened version of this workshop.
Who should attend? Why should they be aware of the laws?
- Anyone who provides marketing services to others – to do it in accordance with the law
- Marketers (like marketing managers) – to market goods or services in accordance with the law
- Advertisers – to advertise in accordance with the law
- Directors (executive and non-executive, CEOs and FDs) – to discharge their legal duties. The executive briefing is specifically designed for directors.
- Compliance officers – to effectively comply with the laws
- Legal advisors (corporate lawyers or in-house lawyers) – to provide good legal advice on the related issues
Very intelligent, experienced and educated people often attend our workshops. They usually know more about their fields than we do, so we see ourselves as facilitators helping the group to explore the topic. We always encourage people to add their value at any stage.
Who is the presenter?
A practical attorney from Michalsons. We will ensure the attorney is the best person to present the course depending on the type of course, the date, the specific issues and the attendees. For example, Nicholas Hall often presents on this topic. Nicholas helps many organisations comply with the various laws related to marketing. He is particularly active in the area of promotional competitions, customer loyalty programs and digital marketing where he helps organisations ensure that their marketing models are fully compliant.
How long is it?
We provide this course in different formats. Public and private sessions can last for anything from 45 minutes, half a day or a full day. We also provide eCourses that can be done via the Internet at your convenience. We welcome enquires for more information and details.
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.