Become a fearless ‘jargonslayer’ with our iLEXplain: Plain legal language workshops. Do your customers understand your documents? Simple language in many contracts and legal documents has become a consumer right and a competitive advantage. Poor legal drafting has become a liability. Create clear legal documents and close the gap between your business and your clients.
We offer workshops, seminars and executive briefings on plain language. Our current focus for intensive workshops is plain language in financial services, insurance, and healthcare related documents.
Public Plain Legal Language workshops
We have workshops scheduled in the following cities:
Workshop dates to be advised. If you have a specific query, do not hesitate to contact us.
The seminar costs R3,500 per person (excl VAT), with a 10% discount for more than one person referred by the same organisation. Bookings are on a first come, first served basis. Michalsons may move venues or cancel workshops no later than seven days before, based on the number of people who have confirmed their attendance. Groups are small to ensure that the sessions are relevant to your needs. We give practical insights, rather than law lectures! We will refund you if you do not think you received value.
- Understand how plain language law and practice affects and can benefit your organisation.
- Identify unnecessarily complex language in a legal and business context.
- Learn practical techniques for drafting or editing legal documents in plain language.
- Plan successful plain language projects in your organisation.
- Reap the dividends of converting your organisation to plain language.
What do we cover?
A typical workshop includes most of the following, and can be adapted to your needs:
- What is plain language and why is it important?
- An overview of the laws that define and deal with plain language.
- What are the benefits of using plain language?
- What are the risks of using plain language instead of legalese?
- An outline of some of the most important plain language principles.
- Some effective techniques and tricks for writing in plain legal language.
- Related principles such as document structure, design and typography.
- Examples of how to write common legal words, phrases and clauses in plain language.
- Successful plain language projects and the role of style guides and glossaries.
- Things you can do in your organisation immediately and other action items.
- Practical plain language writing exercises.
- Questions and discussion.
We will give you copies of the presentation, useful checklists and further reading lists.
What sets us apart?
- Our sessions are small and interactive – you are able to ask questions and influence the discussion.
- We ask you questions at the start so that we understand your level of knowledge and your concerns.
- We provide practical insight and simplify the issues for a business context.
- We tell you what you need to know rather than everything.
Who should attend?
- Managers – to manage the legal documents that relate to their products or business.
- Marketing managers – to market legally and effectively using plain language principles.
- Communications and PR professionals – to learn techniques for more effective communication.
- Lawyers, in-house legal advisers and paralegals – to draft good documents and provide good advice.
- Auditors and assurance providers (internal and external) – to provide plain language assurance.
- Risk managers – to manage risks regarding complicated or unlawful language.
- Compliance officers – to effectively comply with plain language laws.
We also offer this topic in the form of a short executive briefing to help develop successful compliance programs and explain the issues to boards of directors, investors and other business stakeholders. The briefing helps executives convert compliance efforts into positive public relations and business benefits.
Who is the presenter?
A practical attorney from Michalsons. We will ensure the attorney is the best person to present the course depending on the type of course, the date, the specific issues and the attendees. For example, Andrew Weeks often presents on this topic. He is a practical and internationally experienced commercial attorney, with specific expertise in plain legal language and consumer protection law. He is a fanatical plain language lawyer who drafts, edits and audits a wide range of agreements and other legal documents using plain language principles. He enjoys educating clients and colleagues about plain language.
We are happy to give the seminar, workshop or executive briefing at your offices or another suitable venue.
How long is it?
The workshop is usually either a half day or a full day, depending on the level of detail wanted. Seminars and executive briefings are usually 45 minutes to an hour.
Feedback from attendees
- ‘We had some great feedback from the teams’. SI, financial services company, Johannesburg.
- ‘I just wanted to say a quick thank you from my side for your recent training sessions…. We’ve received very positive feedback yet again’. AV, financial services company, Cape Town.
- ‘This is the best course ever! Where were you two weeks ago when we spent a whole day drafting a letter to our clients?’ Attendee at plain language workshop, Johannesburg.
- ‘Everyone here really enjoyed the workshop‘. MJ, senior legal editor, Durban.
- Many thanks [for the copy of the workshop presentation] Andrew! Much appreciated. And thanks too for the well-presented session. Beautifully clear. ‘ MH, financial services company, Cape Town.
- Thanks for the seminar. [Our Group Legal Counsel] will be contacting you regarding giving a seminar to our global legal meeting in January’. SG, multinational industrial group, Johannesburg.
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.