Are you interested in electronic signatures and the law? Many businesses are keen to leverage electronic signatures provided for in the ECT Act.
Electronic signatures can speed up paper-based processes by making them completely electronic. The potential time and cost savings are huge.
However, people are unsure about the law or rules relating to electronic signatures. What counts as an electronic signature? What is an advanced electronic signature? When do you have to use an advanced electronic signature and when is an ordinary electronic signature sufficient? Does the law recognise them? Are they enforceable?
Using an ordinary electronic signature instead of an advanced electronic signature when the law requires you to use an advanced electronic signature could have serious consequences for your business.
We can provide you with all the information you need to know about electronic signatures, including an overview and evaluation of the types of electronic signature technology available in terms of the law.
We do not provide electronic signatures or recommend any particular technologies. We present not from an academic perspective, but rather a very practical perspective.
We offer a seminar, webinar, workshop, or executive briefing on the subject. Get a working understanding of electronic signatures.
Our Electronic Signature Workshops have been well received and we now have workshops scheduled in the following cities:
We have not yet set dates for our next public workshops. If you’d like to attend a public workshop on this topic, send us an email asking us to set a date in your city.
The cost of one delegate is R3,920 (excluding VAT). Two or more qualifies for a 10% discount. We will serve refreshments. We limit delegate numbers, so bookings are done on a first come, first served basis. We aim to give practical insights that you can use to be effective. We do not give law lectures! We will refund you, if you do not think you received value.
- Get practical answers to your most frequently asked questions
- Know what an electronic signature is
- Know the difference between ordinary and advanced electronic signatures
- Be able to decide whether you need to use an advanced electronic signature or not
What do we cover?
- What are the different kinds of electronic signatures, with examples
- The law relevant to electronic signatures, including the common law, the ECT Act, POPI, and a few others
- When (and what types) of electronic signatures are acceptable and enforceable
- Reliability and functions of electronic signatures
- Maximising evidential weight
- Verifying the identity of the signer, including authentication versus verification
- Choice and reliability of electronic signatures
- How to use them practically – the assessment process to follow
- Demonstrations on how they work
- Practical examples of the signing of certain specific documents, like resolutions, sale agreements, share certificates, and client mandates under FAIS
- Deciding which is the right signature to use for the signing of a specific document, by a group of people
Who should attend and why?
- Service providers – anyone who needs to get their clients to sign a document
- Electronic signature users – anyone who wants to use electronic signatures in their business, either for them or their clients to sign
- Legal advisers (corporate lawyers or in-house lawyers) – to provide good legal advice on the related issues
- Compliance officers – to effectively comply with the laws
- Accountants – to provide good advice on the issues and service their clients
Who is the presenter?
David Luyt is a law-of-technology attorney. He is busy helping all kinds of businesses turn their analog processes into digital ones by understanding electronic signatures. He has provided advice on the use of electronic signatures in many industries, including:
- legal services;
- financial services;
- health and accident insurance;
- international export; and
- injury on duty claim management.
How long is it?
It depends on the format – the seminar and the workshop is a half or full day and the webinar about 45 minutes.
We are happy to give the seminar, workshop or executive briefing at your venue. If you want a personal in-house seminar at your offices, please contact us and we will send you a quote.
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.
Other practical legal solutions
Read more about electronic signature law.