A good relationship between the shareholders of a company is the foundation upon which everything else is built. Shareholders need to discuss the important aspects of their relationship and record them in a good Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI) and a Shareholders Agreement. It is a bit like the process before you get married. Marriage counselling to make sure you and your spouse are on the same page on the big issues (like babies and money) and then record your agreement in an anti-nuptial contract. If shareholders are on the same page, it facilitates a good relationship without disputes and the company often flourishes.
The unfortunate reality is that we often see shareholders not establishing a solid foundation, and ending up with situation that resembles a messy divorce. It is simply very hard to lay a good foundation. The concepts (like pre-emptive rights and resolutions) are tricky and shareholders normally have hundreds of things to do to run the company (like making sales).
This is why we run this practical one day workshop. All shareholders of the company can attend and, at the end of it, you will all be on the same page and have a tailored MOI and Shareholders Agreement for your company that reflects your common understanding.
- Be on the same page as your other shareholders.
- Have a tailored MOI and Shareholders Agreement for your company.
- Get answers to your frequently asked questions.
- Be on speaking terms with your other shareholders in a few years time.
We have not yet set dates for our next public workshops.
If you’d like to attend a public workshop on this topic but we have not yet set dates (or the location or dates don’t suit you), send us an email asking us to set a date in your city. One delegate costs R4,312 ex VAT. Two or more delegates qualify for a 10% discount. We will serve lunch and refreshments. We limit delegate numbers, so bookings are done on a first come, first served basis. We aim to give practical insights that you can use to be effective. We do not give law lectures! We will refund you if you do not think you received value.
We also offer tailored private events that can be held at your premises on a day that suits you.
- The documents and agreements that regulate the relationship between shareholders.
- Why you need to draft a new MOI.
- Tailoring the MOI for your requirements by discussing things like:
- the purpose and powers of the company,
- the issuing of shares,
- which shareholders are authorised to act for the company,
- shareholder meetings and resolutions,
- who will be directors, when will they meet, what are they liable for and what will they get paid.
- Why you need both a MOI and a Shareholders Agreement to regulate the relationship between shareholders.
- Tailoring a Shareholders Agreement for your requirements by discussing things like:
- who will be employed by the company,
- shareholder restraints,
- how much can directors spend,
- who will be signatories of the company bank account,
- when can shareholders sell their shares,
- what happens if a shareholder dies,
- when will dividends be declared,
- how will disputes be resolved,
- how will the company be funded and shareholder loans,
- should minorities be protected.
- What is going to happen to Close Corporations and why you should convert?
- What has to happen to register, convert or amend a company?
- Take Home Points and Action items
Your Content Goes Here
We will provide attendees with:
- course notes, including questionnaires and templates,
- a link to an electronic copy of our presentation.
- Anyone who needs an MOI or shareholder agreement – tailored for their specific circumstances
- Shareholders – to enable a good relationship between shareholders
- Members of close corporations – to draft the key documents necessary to convert their CCs
- Legal advisors (corporate lawyers or in-house lawyers) – to provide good legal advice on the related issues
- We have significant practical experience dealing with these specific areas.
- Our sessions are interactive – you are able to ask questions, have your specific issues dealt with, and influence what gets discussed.
- Our sessions are tailored to the attendees – we ask you questions in advance so that we know what your issues are and your existing level of knowledge.
- You are able to network with other people at the event.
- We do not give sales pitches, which is unfortunately so often what speakers do at conferences.
- We provide insight and simplify the issues, which can only be done after practically applying POPI to real business issues.
- We empower you and do not try to entrench ourselves in your organisation.
- The topic gets covered more comprehensively when one person leads the discussion for a day, rather than many different people covering the same ground. It is not different people covering the same issues superficially in different ways.
- We cover the same ground in one day, rather than two. This saves you time and money. We tell you what you need to know, not everything.
A practical attorney from Michalsons. We will ensure the attorney is the best person to present the course depending on the type of course, the date, the specific issues and the attendees.
We provide this course in different formats. Public and private sessions can last for anything from 45 minutes, half a day or a full day. We also provide eCourses that can be done via the Internet at your convenience. We welcome enquires for more information and details.
Our public events are at various venues around the world. We choose venues that are central and easy to get to, that have adequate parking, good food, and that ensure you are comfortable. We are also happy to give the Managing the Relationship between Shareholders workshop or executive briefing at your venue.