Do you need a PAIA Manual? Do you want to draft one for your organisation? The Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) requires all larger public and private bodies (unless they are exempt) in South Africa to have a PAIA Manual. Essentially the manual explains to people how they can get access to the records held by the body.
What about an online PAIA Manual template?
Online PAIA templates simply can’t do the job properly. Those templates are often created to cover the bare minimum requirements for PAIA manuals and could really only help you with about 50% compliance with PAIA. Based on the amount of time we have worked on it, a manual we draft for you is close to complete compliance with the law.
We have created a PAIA Manual template over a number of years that is tried and tested. We use this template to create a customised PAIA Manual specifically for you. There is actually quite a bit of tailoring that is required. One size does not fit all. You can do a cut and paste job from another organisation’s PAIA Manual, but it will not be suitable for you. How will you know what applies to you and what doesn’t? Most organisations’ manuals that you will find on the Internet are out-of-date and do not comply with the latest laws.
The more records you have as an organisation, the greater the task is to draft the PAIA Manual. Also, the more personal information you process, the greater the task.
Actions you can take
- If you already have a PAIA manual, make sure it is up-to-date by asking Michalsons to review it to check that it complies with the latest law.
- Update your PAIA Manual to comply with POPIA by asking us to make the necessary changes.
- Comply with your legal obligation to have a PAIA Manual by asking Michalsons to draft a PAIA Manual for you.
The risk of non-compliance
If you do not have a PAIA manual, your information officer could be fined or imprisoned for a period not exceeding two years.
How you benefit
- Save time.
- Establish a procedure for people to request information from you in a structured way.
- Reduce your admin burden.
- Build trust with your customers and stakeholders.
- Project a good public image. Demonstrate that you comply with the law.
- Avoid regulatory investigations and fines.
Who is a PAIA Manual suitable for?
All larger public and private bodies. Smaller organisations are exempt.
What you get?
The manual will be:
- drafted in plain language so you can understand it
- up-to-date with the latest law
- relevant to your organisation
- in editable format so you can make changes
- well structured
We will answer your questions and ensure that you do it correctly.
What is the process?
- We will ask you various questions and gather the necessary information.
- We create the necessary document customised for you. You review and approve it.
- We send you a final version for use and we send one to the SAHRC.
- We help you to put a link to it on your website.
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.