This is the ICT Weekly Update on legal, regulatory and policy developments in the ICT industry prepared by Lisa Thornton Inc for clients and colleagues. Michalsons reproduces it, in part, here with the permission of Lisa Thornton Inc.
NEW FINDINGS, JUDGMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- The Minister gave notice that the web-based environmental screening tool will be compulsory from 3 Oct 2019.
ICASA gave notice that it has approved the licence transfers from the Estate of Leon Toerien to Pioneer Connect; and from Skygistics to Yabroo/Ubuntel.
Trade and Industry
The Minister published definitions of ‘Medium-sized business’ and ‘small business’ in terms of the Competition Act,
Trade and Industry
- The Department called for film and TV stakeholders to participate in the creation of a film database, to assist companies with ease of information. Deadline is 31 July 2019.
- Potraz has published a Consultation Paper on Domain Name System Framework and .ZW ccTLD Management for comment due 9 August 2019.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – REPRESENTATIONS DUE
- ICASA has received applications for transfers and transfers of control of licences.
- Air Communications (Pty) Ltd to Ubuntu Technology (Pty)Ltd, comment due 18 July 2019.
- Techknowledge Open System cc, ownership change, comment due 18 July 2019.
- ICASA published its Draft Findings Document on Inquiry into Subscription Television Broadcasting Services, for comment due 27 August 2019.
SA Law Reform Commission
The SA Law Reform Commission published its Discussion Paper on sexual offences (pornography and children) for comment, due 30 July 2019.
- The Lesotho Communications Authority published a proposed Amendment of Lesotho Communications Authority (Administrative) Rules, for comment due 18 June 2019.
- The National Communications Authority published Type Approval regulations, for comment due 17 July 2019.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – OUTCOME AWAITED
- Postal Services Amendment Bill
- Competition Amendment Bill
- Ikamva National e-Skills Bill
- Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill
- Copyright Amendment Bill
- Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
- Films and Publications Amendment Bill
- Protection of State Information Bill
- Policy direction re the introduction of digital sound broadcasting
- Review of the public broadcasting sector.
- New tariffs in terms of the Films and Publications Act
- Appointments to the Evaluation Panel
- Draft Community Broadcasting Support Scheme
Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Policy directions on the licensing of high demand spectrum.
South African Law Reform Commission
Justice and Constitutional Development
Science and Technology
City of Johannesburg