This is the ICT Weekly Update on legal, regulatory and policy developments in the ICT industry prepared by Lisa Thornton Inc for clients and colleagues. Michalsons reproduces it, in part, here with the permission of Lisa Thornton Inc.
NEW FINDINGS, JUDGMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- The AGM of the .za DNA will be held 5 October 2018.
- Icasa has published a draft Radio Frequency Migration Plan, 2018, for comment due 12 October 2018.
Science and Technology
- The Dept has published a draft White Paper on Science, Technology and Innovation, for comment due 19 October 2018.
- The NCC has published its Quarterly Subscriber Data Information Request for Internet Service Providers.
- The NCA had invited applications for the sale of spectrum in the 800 MHz band, due 8 October 2018.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – REPRESENTATIONS DUE
- Icasa has given notice that it will dispose of equipment confiscated between 2000 and 2018. Representations are due 14 September 2018.
- Icasa received renewal applications from SABC for 18 commercial radio licences. Comment is due 1 October 2018.
- Icasa published draft amendments to the party election broadcasts and political advertisements regulations, 2014, for comment due 8 October 2018.
- Icasa published Call Termination Amendment Regulations, 2018 for common due 7 September 2018. Errata were published 22 and 23 August 2018.
- Icasa called for applications for the spectrum licence main up the third DTT (MUX3) for providing commercial subscription TV broadcasting services, due 31 October 2018.
Trade and Industry
- The Department that applications for the Technology and Human Resources for Industry Programme (THRIP) will be open from 15 July 2018 to 30 September 2018.
- Cran extended the deadline for comment on draft Postal Regulations to 30 September 2018.
- MICT called for comment on the draft Privacy and Data Protection Policy and Bill, 2018, due 19 September 2018.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – OUTCOME AWAITED
- Ikamva National e-Skills Bill
- Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill, 2017
- Copyright Amendment Bill
- Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
- Films and Publications Amendment Bill, 2015
- Protection of State Information Bill
- New tariffs in terms of the Films and Publications Act
- Appointments to the Evaluation Panel
- Draft Community Broadcasting Support Scheme
Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Electronic Communications Amendment Bill
- Postal Services Amendment Bill
South African Law Reform Commission
Justice and Constitutional Development
Science and Technology
City of Johannesburg