This is the ICT Weekly Update on legal, regulatory and policy developments in the ICT industry prepared by Lisa Thornton Inc for clients and colleagues. Michalsons reproduces it, in part, here with the permission of Lisa Thornton Inc.
NEW FINDINGS, JUDGMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- The Deputy Minister will hold a media briefing on the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill, 19 Jan 2017.
- An adjudicator has ordered the transfer of the domain youwinlaw.co.za to Trax IT Solutions.
- In the run up to the 2017 General Election, the Communications Authority has reminding broadcasters of the regulatory provisions governing broadcasting platforms.
Lisa Thornton Consulting
- Find a series of articles unpacking the ICT White Paper published by the Dept here..
- Cran has given notice of applications for spectrum licences for comment due 27 Jan 2017.
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty
- Trustco Administrative Support Services
- The UCC has given notice of service applications for comment, due 26 Jan 2017.
- Horizon TV Broadcasting
- Lighthouse TV
- Hamilton Telecom
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – REPRESENTATIONS DUE
- The Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Communications has called for nominations, due 20 Jan 2017.
– to fill 2 vacancies on the MDDA board
– to fill 2 vacancies o the ICASA council
- Icasa accepted an application for transfer to the licence of Seacom Africa (Pty) Ltd to Seacom Business (Pty) Ltd, for comment due 26 Jan 2017.
South African Law Reform Commission
- The Commission has released its Discussion Paper 144 on Project 25 in respect of legislation administered by the Dept of Trade and Industry, for comment due 28 Feb 2017.
Dept Justice and Constitutional Development
- The Dept has invited comment on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crime and Hate Speech Bill, 2016, due 31 Jan 2017.
- The Dept has invited comment on the proposed draft Code of Good Administrative Conduct, due 17 Feb 2017.
Pending Proceedings – Outcome Awaited
- Films and Pubications Amendment Bill 2015
- Protection of Critical Infrastructure Bill 2015
- Protection of State Information Bill
Minister of Communications
- Appointment of members of the Appeal Tribunal of the Film and Publication Board
- Draft Community Broadcasting Support Scheme
Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Dept Language Policy
- Amendments to the Alternative Dispute Regulations.
Former Minister of Communications
- Strategy on local and digital content development
- Set top box manufacturing sector development strategy
- Findings of the study on the trends of digital local content and uptake rates
[Pending decisions about individual licenses and complaints are not included in this list]
- Findings in Discussion Document on Equipment Type Approval Exemption
- Inquiry into the number portability regulations
- Inquiry into Subscription Broadcasting Services
- Amended regulations establishing the Consumer Advisory Panel
- Information Memorandum for licensing IMT spectrum
- Revised Code for Persons with Disabilities Regulations
- VoIP Market Inquiry Findings
- Inquiry into the state of competition in the information and communications technology sector Findings
- Implementation framework for toll free services
- Regulatory Framework for Wholesale Broadcasting Transmission Services
- Introduction of local loop unbundling
- Radio frequency spectrum fee regulations applicable to broadcasting
- Ownership and control regulations
- Amended E-rate regulations
- Must carry obligations
- Technical standards for power line communications
- Essential facilities regulations
- Tender for Project Management for Digital Migration
- Recommendations to the MoTaPS in respect of the Qualifying Criteria for the Set-Top-Box Scheme of Support
South African Law Reform Commission
- Report and Recommendations on the review of the law of evidence. The Discussion Paper concerned, inter alia, the admissibility of electronic evidence.
Minister of Trade and Industry
- Copyright Amendment Bill, 2015
Minister of Science and Technology
- Regulations on the protection of the Karoo Central Astronomy Advantage Areas
- Regulations to prohibit activities in core astronomy advantage areas
- Regulations on radio astronomy protection levels in astronomy advantage areas
- Regulations in terms of the Astronomy Advantage Areas Act
Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development
- Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
- 18th Amendment Bill to the Constitution and State Liability Bill
- Ratification of Council of Europe’s Convention on Cyber crime (dealing with computer-related fraud and forgery and infringement of copyright).
- law.za charter
City of Johannesburg
- By-laws re rights of way for electronic communications facilities
- Digital Terrestrial Television Licensing Framework
- Development of Cost Models and Pricing Framework for ICT Services in Botswana
- Regulations Setting Fees for Spectrum Licenses