This is the ICT Weekly Update on legal, regulatory and policy developments in the ICT industry prepared by Lisa Thornton Inc for clients and colleagues. Michalsons reproduces it, in part, here with the permission of Lisa Thornton Inc.
NEW FINDINGS, JUDGMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Icasa published Regulations on the Use of Television White Spaces, 23 March 2018.
- Icasa published Number Portability Regulations, 28 March 2018.
- Icasa published amendments to the administrative fees for type approval applications.
- Icasa approved the transfer of licences from China Times to One Telecom.
- Icasa will hold oral hearings in the Inquiry into Subscription Television Broadcasting Services 7-11 2018.
- Icasa announced the expiration of the licences of Goal Technology Solutions.
- Icasa has asked licensees to submit responses to the 2017 ITU Short Questionnaire by 10 April 2018.
- Icasa published a Discussion Document on Digital Sound Broadcasting, for comment due 7 June 2018.il 2018.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – REPRESENTATIONS DUE
- Icasa announced that it received 4 applications for TV licences and spectrum licences for MUX 3 frequencies. Written representations are due 16 April 2018.
- Discussion Document re the identification of markets to determine which ones will be the subject of future market reviews, 25 April 2018.
Trade and Industry
- Draft standards
- wireless communication, site engineering, 3 April 2018
- Electromagnetic compatibility, 9 April 2018
- Information Technology, 26 April 2018
Southern Africa Innovation Support
- SAIS has called for proposals for funds, open until 25 April 2018
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – OUTCOME AWAITED
- Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill, 2017
- Copyright Amendment Bill
- Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
- Films and Publications Amendment Bill, 2015
- Protection of State Information Bill
- New tariffs in terms of the Films and Publications Act
- Appointments to the Evaluation Panel
- Draft Community Broadcasting Support Scheme
Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Electronic Communications Amendment Bill
- Postal Services Amendment Bill
- iKamva National e-Skills Institute Bill
South African Law Reform Commission
Trade and Industry
Justice and Constitutional Development
Science and Technology
City of Johannesburg