This is the ICT Weekly Update on legal, regulatory and policy developments in the ICT industry prepared by Lisa Thornton Inc for clients and colleagues. Michalsons reproduces it, in part, here with the permission of Lisa Thornton Inc.
ICASA reminded stakeholders of its Invitation to Pre-register for community sound broadcasting radio station licences, due 31 March 2020.
- The NCC published revised National Numbering Plan
- The regulatory authority published Guidelines for the Provision of Value Added Services.
Th e Portfolio Committee on Communications invited nominations to the MDDA Board, due 14 Feb
- The regulator published a draft amendment to the regulations in respect of licence exempt spectrum, for comment due 19 Feb 2020.
- ICASA invited comments on a draft spectrum assignment plan for the 470-694 MHz band migrating from TV and release of the 694-862 MHz band for licensing, due 31 January 2020
- ICASA published a notice re the licensing process for the WOAN and high demand spectrum, for comment due 31 January 2020.
- Icasa published a Discussion Document on the Market Inquiry into Mobile Broadband Services in South Africa, for comment due 27 February 2020.
- Icasa published a notice of intention to conduct a regulatory impact assessment of the End-user and Subscriber Service Charter Regulations, 18 February 2020.
- Icasa published a Review of the Must Carry Regulations, 2008 Discussion Document, 6 March 2020.
- ICASA published an Invitation to Pre-register for community sound broadcasting radio station licences, due 31 March 2020.
- Comment on the Constitution Eighteenth Amendment Bill to allow for nil compensation for expropriation is open for comment until 31 Jan 2020.
Employment and Labour
- The Minister published a notice of intention to deem persons in the Film and TV sectors as employees for purposed of the labour legislation. Comment is due by 10 February 2020.
- The Minister published draft protocols for the assessment and reporting requirement of environmental impact for domestic animal and plant species,
for comment due 10 Feb 2020.
- Postal Services Amendment Bill
- Competition Amendment Bill
- Ikamva National e-Skills Bill
- Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill
- Copyright Amendment Bill
- Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
- Protection of State Information Bill
- Policy direction re the introduction of digital sound broadcasting
- Review of the public broadcasting sector.
- New tariffs in terms of the Films and Publications Act
- Community Broadcasting Support Scheme
ICASA[Pending decisions about individual licenses and complaints are not included in this list]
- Unreserved Postal Services Regulations.
- Findings on Inquiry into Subscription Television Broadcasting Services.
- Amendment to Annexure B of the Spectrum regulations re licence exemption spectrum.
- Amendment to Numbering Plan Regulations, shortcode 116 for child helpline services
- Inquiry into mobile broadband services
- Sports Broadcasting Services Amendment Regulations
- Conformity Assessment Framework for Equipment Authorization
- Amendments to regulations re standards for equipment
- Second draft update to Annexure A of the Terrestrial Broadcasting Frequency Plan
- Spectrum Assignment Plans for 156.4785-156.5625 MHz bands
- Code for Persons with Disabilities
- VoIP Market Inquiry Findings
- Implementation framework for toll-free services
- Regulatory Framework for Wholesale Broadcasting Transmission Services
- Introduction of local loop unbundling
- Radio frequency spectrum fee regulations applicable to broadcasting
- Amended E-rate regulations
- Technical standards for power line communications
- Essential facilities regulations
South African Law Reform Commission
- Findings in Discussion Paper on sexual offences (pornography and children).
- Report and Recommendations on the review of the law of (electronic) evidence.
- Regulations for the making of Environmental Management Instruments.
- National Biodiversity Offset Policy.
Justice and Constitutional Development
- Prevention and Combating of Hate Crime and Hate Speech Bill.
- 18th Amendment Bill to the Constitution and State Liability Bill.
- Ratification of Council of Europe’s Convention on Cybercrime.
- Regulations to expand the definition of “electronic services” in VAT Act.
Economic transformation, inclusive growth, and competitiveness: Towards an Economic Strategy for South Africa.
- Crypto Assets Regulatory Working Group Consultation Paper on Policy Proposals for Crypto Assets.
- Wholesale fee review for co.za, net.za, org.za and web.za.
- Amendments to the .za Second Level Domain General Policy and .za Second Level Registrations Policy.
- law.za charter.
- Regulations: Price Discrimination; Buyer Power; and Definitions of Small and Medium Business.
- Market inquiry into Data Services.
- Investigation into Vodacom exclusive contract with the National Treasury.
- Guidelines for the exchange of information between competitors.
- Guidelines for the Determination of Administrative Penalties for Failure to Notify a Merger.
City of Johannesburg
- By-laws re rights of way for electronic communications facilities.
- Code of Advertising for Broadcasting Spectrum Management
- Digital Terrestrial Television Licensing Framework.
- Cost Models and Pricing Framework for ICT Services.
- Type approval regulations.
- Quality of Service Regulations.
- Programming Code for Broadcasting Services.
- Privacy and Data Protection Policy and Bill, 2018.
- Guidelines on Installation and Maintenance of ICT Infrastructure.
- Additional requirements to enhance accessibility to broadcasting services by persons with disabilities.
- Regulatory interventions for IoT.
- Specifications for mobile devices.
- Guidelines for Network Redundancy, Resilience and Diversity.
- Minimum technical specifications for cable and satellite TV receivers.
- Requirements and procedures for the use of foreign numbering resources.
- Revised guidelines on the prevention of dissemination of undesirable bulk political messages.
- Draft Technical Specification for IPTV Set-Top Boxes.
- Amendment of Lesotho Communications Authority (Administrative) Rules.
- Licensing Classification and Fees Rules.
- Universal Service Obligations Guidelines.
- Procedures re Applications Spectrum Licences.
- Postal Service Licence Categories.
- Amendment to Procedures for the Adjudication for Disputes.
- Amendment to Type Approval Regulations.
- Internet Industry Code of Practice.
- Authorization Framework for the use of Amateur Radio.
- Numbering plan for M2M and IOT applications.
- Radio Spectrum Management Policy.
- Domain Name System Framework and .ZW ccTLD Management.
- Consultation Paper on the Licensing of PMR 446 Radios.