This is the ICT Weekly Update on legal, regulatory and policy developments in the ICT industry prepared by Lisa Thornton Inc for clients and colleagues. Michalsons reproduces it, in part, here with the permission of Lisa Thornton Inc.
NEW FINDINGS, JUDGMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Minister of Communications
- The Minister appointed the Broadcasting Digital Migration Advisory Council.
Minister of Economic Development
- The Minister announced his intention to introduce the Competition Amendment Bill in Parliament in July 2018.
- The Lesotho Communications Authority announced the grand of licence to two postal and courier service operators, to Lesotho Postal Services and DHL Lesotho.
Minister of Justice and Correctional Services
- The Minister invites nominations for appointment to the SA Law Reform Commission, due 25 July 2018.
- USAASA published a tender for the appointment of a service provider to provide broadband connectivity in the Ratlou and Joe Morolong local municipalities, and the John Taolo Gaetsewe district municipality, due 3 August 2018.
Trade and Industry
- The Department that applications for the Technology and Human Resources for Industry Programme (THRIP) will be open from 15 July 2018 to 31 August 2018.
- The LCA called for comment on the amendment application submitted by
LEC Communications, due 10 August 2018.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – REPRESENTATIONS DUE
- Icasa gave notice of renewal applications for commercial sound broadcasting licences, for comment due 12 July 2018.
- Icasa received an application from North West FM to transfer its individual commercial sound broadcasting licence to Motswako Media Group. Comment due 28 June 2018.
- ICASA called on licensees to submit reports on Machine Related Service Migration reports, due 31 May 2018, 20 July 2018 and 7 September 2018.
Trade and Industry
- The DTI has proposed the withdrawal of certain standards re Optical Fibre Cables, for comment due 30 June 2018.
- The DTI published draft standards for information technology, for comment due 8 July 2018.
- The DoC published an Issues Paper and called for comment on this review of the public broadcasting sector, due 30 July 2018.
- The .za DNA published proposed amendments to the .za Second Level Domain General Policy and the draft .za Second Level Registrations Policy, due 12 July 2018.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – OUTCOME AWAITED
- Ikamva National e-Skills Bill
- Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill, 2017
- Copyright Amendment Bill
- Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
- Films and Publications Amendment Bill, 2015
- Protection of State Information Bill
- New tariffs in terms of the Films and Publications Act
- Appointments to the Evaluation Panel
- Draft Community Broadcasting Support Scheme
Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Electronic Communications Amendment Bill
- Postal Services Amendment Bill
South African Law Reform Commission
Justice and Constitutional Development
Science and Technology
City of Johannesburg