This is the ICT Weekly Update on legal, regulatory and policy developments in the ICT industry prepared by Lisa Thornton Inc for clients and colleagues. Michalsons reproduces it, in part, here with the permission of Lisa Thornton Inc.
NEW FINDINGS, JUDGMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Icasa will hold oral hearings in respect of the Draft Radio Frequency Migration Plan, 25-26 October 2018.
- Icasa received further information from applicants for commercial TV and MUX 3 spectrum licences. Further comment is invited, due 9 November 2018.
- The CC published comments presented in the oral hearings in respect of the Data Services Market Inquiry.
- The NA passed the Competition Amendment Bill on 23 October 2018.
- The Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry called for comments on amendments to the Performers’ Protection Amendment Bill, due 31 October 2018.
- LCA announced the School Connect project, which will provide access and training. Applications from schools are due 15 December 2018.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – REPRESENTATIONS DUE
- The Minister has called for comment on its proposed policy directions on the licensing of high demand spectrum, due 8 November 2018.
- The Minister has invited comments on a draft policy direction re the introduction of digital sound broadcasting, due 10 November 2018.
- Icasa gave notice of applications for the transfer of the iECNS/iECS licensee of Leon Toerien to Pioneer Connect, for comment due 26 October 2018.
- Icasa has initiated a regulatory impact assessment of the Must Carry Regulations of 2008. Representations are due 26 October 2018.
- Icasa called for applications for the MUX3 spectrum licence for providing commercial subscription TV broadcasting services, due 31 October 2018.
- Icasa has initiated an inquiry into the roles and responsibilities of Icasa with respect to cybersecurity, for comment due 30 November 2018.
- Icasa has published a notice of intention to conduct an inquiry on unreserved postal services, for comment due 3 December 2018.
- The Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry called for comments on amendments to the Copyright Amendment Bill, due 26 October 2018.
- The NCC published a draft Internet Industry Code of Practice for comment due 2 November 2018.
- BOCRA called for comments on the draft frequency plan and migration plan, due 26 October 2018. The remainder of the draft spectrum management issues can be commented on by 9 November 2018.
PENDING PROCEEDINGS – OUTCOME AWAITED
- Ikamva National e-Skills Bill
- Critical Infrastructure Protection Bill, 2017
- Copyright Amendment Bill
- Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill
- Films and Publications Amendment Bill, 2015
- Protection of State Information Bill
- Findings in respect of its review of the public broadcasting sector.
- New tariffs in terms of the Films and Publications Act
- Appointments to the Evaluation Panel
- Draft Community Broadcasting Support Scheme
Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Postal Services Amendment Bill
South African Law Reform Commission
Justice and Constitutional Development
Science and Technology
City of Johannesburg