Today, the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development has released a new version of the Cybercrimes Bill. This long-awaited bill was first released for public comment in August 2015. Since then, the Cybercrimes Bill has undergone significant changes with consultations from various stakeholders, to help make the Bill more effective in combating cybercrime in South Africa. We ran public workshops on the old version of the Bill to make it accessible and empower people to understand the impact of it. We also have been one of the parties working on this new version.
Why you should care
Cybercrime affects everyone. The Cybercrimes Bill will have a big impact on your business especially if you:
- are declared to have a critical information infrastructure, or
- provide electronic communications services or are a financial institution.
What actions can you possibly take?
- Be alerted to any new developments by subscribing to our newsletter.
- Find out what how the Bill has changed by attending our Cyber Crime and Security Law Workshop.
- Arrange your own private in-house Cyber Crime and Security Law Workshop.
- Brief your board on cyber security risks and the legal implications for your organisation.
- Read the latest version of the Cybercrimes Bill.