They say hindsight is 20/20. And usually it’s not helpful to hear that. But for once we can really apply what we’ve learnt. By helping organisations meet the GDPR compliance deadline, we’ve identified the key stumbling blocks to avoid as we work to help organisations meet the POPIA compliance deadline.
What we’ve learned through the GDPR compliance deadline
- It is expensive. Just read about what it has cost organisations who already comply with some level of data protection laws to “upgrade” to the GDPR requirements. According to the FT “Companies in the UK’s FTSE 100 are estimated to have had to spend an average of £15m each” and “Global 500 will spend a combined $7.8bn on compliance, an average of almost $16m each“.
- It takes longer than you think. Just ask our clients, who are still racing to get things done and ask the merry band of attorneys at Michalsons who are looking rather worse for wear following this most recent GDPR deadline.
- It is complex and it is no fun working out what it may mean for your organisation on your own.
- When you do things in a rush you don’t necessarily do things well or cleverly.
- Sometimes we just don’t have capacity to help all organisations do what they need to do in time.
So how can we apply this learning to the next major data protection compliance deadline?
- If we get lots of organisations doing the same thing at the same time, we can make sure that the end product is better than doing it on your own – and that it will cost you a lot less.
- Start soon. If you start working on it now, and do a little every month you’ll be certain to meet the deadline, and not lose all your hair.
- Work with people to understand what this might mean for your organisation – don’t do it all on your own.
- Give yourself time. That way you’ll breeze across the finish line with well thought through solutions to protect the personal information you process.
- By signing up early and learning as part of a group, you’ll be sure to access expert help when you need it.
So how can you apply this learning?
Join the Michalsons Data Protection Programme for large organisations. You’ll find it ticks all the boxes. And you can help us to help you. You can join at any time and work through the modules.