Are you looking for a lease agreement (or rental agreement) template for residential or commercial property in South Africa that:
- will protect your rights
- covers all the important issues
- is specifically drafted for properties in South Africa
- is in plain language and easy to read
- is up-to-date
Then look no further! We have a lease agreement template for you.
What are the benefits of our lease agreement template?
Over the years, we have improved and updated our template to cover virtually every situation that may arise.
- Ensure a good relationship in which the rights and responsibilities of the parties are clear.
- Save time and money by drafting and signing leases faster.
- Have a better chance of being paid on-time because the commercial details (like what the tenant must pay and when) are included at the beginning.
- If a dispute arises, you will be in a strong position.
Our templates have been reviewed by counsel (an advocate at the bar) who specialises in property related matters, especially litigation of disputes relating to leases. Advocates are in a unique position in that they know where disputes arise and the wording that should be included in an agreement to ensure a favourable result.
Application of the Consumer Protection Act (CPA)
The Consumer Protection Act does not apply to all leases by default. From the landlord’s point of view, you do not want to give a tenant the consumer rights under the CPA if the CPA does not apply. Tenant’s already have many rights and you do not want to give them more than what the law obliges you to do. In most cases, the CPA applies to the tenants and landlords of residential property rather than those of commercial property.
Who is the author of the lease agreement template?
The lead author is John Giles. Over the years John has gathered and reviewed hundreds of leases in his quest to produce the perfect lease agreement template. John also has years of experience (both as a landlord and on behalf of clients) dealing with disputes between tenants and landlords. This experience has been built into our templates.
How can we help you?
- If you are a tenant wanting to lease a commercial property (for an office, a warehouse or industrial premises), we can review and negotiate the commercial lease agreement that has been presented to you by a landlord.
- If you are a landlord, we can draft a tailored residential or commercial lease agreement template specifically for your circumstances that you can use for multiple tenants.
- If you are a tenant wanting to lease a residential property, we can provide you with a simple standard template.