Have your information rights been infringed? Do you have a privacy complaint or data protection complaint? Do you want to complain that someone:
- Has someone infringed your privacy by sharing your personal information or not taking the necessary steps to protect it?
- Have you received unwanted electronic marketing (or spam), for example via telephone, email or SMS?
- Is someone refusing to give you access to information that you need?
- Is a website using cookies without your consent?
A breach of privacy is a breach of trust and we all know how it feels. We can point you in the right direction to enable you to resolve your complaint.
Resolve the issue directly with the relevant organisation
First, try to sort out the issue with the organisation concerned. This is always the best route. Talking to people is usually the best way to resolve any dispute. Taking legal action seldom solves the problem.
Lodge a complaint
- Visit the website of the information regulator or authority in your jurisdiction and lodge an online complaint. They will investigate your complaint and possibly take action (which might include a fine). For example, lodge a complaint with the SA Information Regulator or the UK ICO.
- Lodge a complaint with the public protector in your country, like the Office of the Public Protector.
- If there is a regulator for the industry that the organisation operates in, lodge a complaint with them. For example, for a credit provider lodge a complaint with the credit regulator (like the NCR).
- If the organisation is a member of an association or industry body, lodge a complaint with them.
- Report the organisation to a consumer complaints portal (like Hellopeter).
Report it to the police
If it is a criminal offence, report the matter and open a case with the police. You need to go to your local police station and start there.
- Give them as much evidence as possible.
- Give an affidavit.
- Make sure you get a report or case number.
Seek advice from Michalsons
You can also complain to us and we’ll try to help you. Please tell us what outcome or solution you are looking for. For example, do you want:
- To stop someone processing your personal information?
- Claim damages from the responsible party?
- Get access to information held by a body?