Information security law is the area of law that asks whether you are protecting your information sufficiently. If a data breach happens, the relevant authority will want to know what steps you took to comply with information security law. Our workshop provides insight into what you need to do to comply and how you can achieve this.
We offer a presentation, seminar, workshop, or executive briefing on this topic by an expert with practical experience. We also offer an online compliance programme.
Why is information security important?
Because it prevents people and companies from suffering harm when their personal information is compromised, or they fail to protect someone else’s personal information and they suffer damage to their reputation, get put under strict regulatory scrutiny, or get fined or imprisoned as a result.
There are four aspects to information security:
- Physical – the locked doors, walls, and security systems that keep your data safe;
- Technical – the firewalls, encryption, and passwords that prevent hackers from getting unauthorised access;
- Operational – the training and awareness you give to your personnel to ensure that they do the right thing and don’t fall foul of phishing attacks or otherwise compromise your security; and
- Administrative – the policies and procedures that tell your organisation and the world how you protect personal information.
Organisations are often strong when it comes to physical and technical information security, but weak in terms of operational and administrative security. We can help you be strong in all four aspects, ensuring that your information is secure and that you comply with the various laws and regulations.
- Know your legal obligations and refer to relevant law
- Be aware of the consequences
- Identify the biggest risk to your organisation
- Take steps to avoid the legal risks
The workshop is divided into four sections covering:
- Information has value – We go through several case studies from around the world to see how different kinds of organisations have approached complying with information security laws and what we can learn from them
- Data protection laws require information security
- The art and science of information security law compliance
- Incident response readiness
Our Information Security Workshops have been well received and we now have public workshops scheduled in the following cities:
We have not yet set dates for our next public workshops. If you’d like to attend a public workshop on this topic, send us an email asking us to set a date in your city.
The cost of one delegate is R4,312 (excluding VAT). Two or more qualifies for a 10% discount. We will serve refreshments. We limit delegate numbers, so bookings are done on a first come, first served basis. We aim to give practical insights that you can use to be effective. We do not give law lectures! We will refund you, if you do not think you received value.
We are able to provide private, in-house workshops to you at your premises. For more information, email our support desk ([email protected]) to get in touch to discuss a suitable date.
We help organisations comply with information security laws. It is meant for you if you are a director, manager or other executive:
- responsible for managing your business
- with the authority to make decisions about that business
- and the power to put those decisions into action
David Luyt is a senior associate at Michalsons with seven years’ experience in information law. He is the facilitator of our Information Security Law Compliance Programme.
David believes that less is more when it comes to the law. He works as an information lawyer because he enjoys simplifying complex ideas into practical insights. He facilitates interactive workshops, drafts beautiful documents, and writes succinct opinions so that corporates, SMEs, and entrepreneurs alike can use the law in an accessible and meaningful way to accelerate their business.
We provide this course in different formats. Public and private sessions can last for anything from 45 minutes, half a day or a full day. We also provide online programmes that can be done via the Internet at your convenience. We welcome enquires for more information and details.
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.
Our public workshops are at various venues around the country. We choose venues that are central so you can get to it easy, that have adequate parking, good food, and that ensure you are comfortable. We are happy to hold the event at your venue. If you want a personal in-house session at your offices, please contact us for a quote.