POPI is likely to have a big impact on the healthcare and related sectors. It treats information about the health and well-being and the sex lives of individuals as especially sensitive and lays down strict rules about how this information can be handled. At the same time, it has become much easier to lose, copy, steal, delete or misuse large databases of sensitive information than it was even a few years ago. The risks of reputational damage associated with data breaches are also higher than in the past. It is therefore very important for the healthcare and related sectors, including the individuals and operators that process health information, to understand the impact of POPI.
The people, companies and organisations that will have to assess their practices and policies for handling health-related information include doctors, dentists, nurses, pharmacists, psychologists, chiropractors and homeopaths (and other complementary health practitioners), students, GP practices, clinics, hospitals, medical aid schemes, pension funds, insurers, schools, training institutions, certain government agencies (such as social services and prisons), research facilities, policymakers and employers.
POPI will also affect anyone who collects, stores, reads, communicates, administers, analyses or in any other way handles personal medical information on behalf of the health and related sectors, including employees (secretaries, assistants, technicians), database administrators, and certain other specialised service providers (including those in ‘the cloud’) and operators such as loyalty scheme providers.
POPI may impact your organisation in surprising ways.
We offer a presentation, seminar, workshop, or executive briefing on this topic by an expert with practical experience. We also offer an eCourse on request.
We have not yet set dates for our next public workshops.
If you’d like to attend a public workshop on this topic but we have not yet set dates (or the location or dates don’t suit you), send us an email asking us to set a date in your city. One delegate costs R4,750 ex VAT. Two or more delegates qualify for a 10% discount. We will serve lunch and refreshments. We limit delegate numbers, so bookings are done on a first come, first served basis. We aim to give practical insights that you can use to be effective. We do not give law lectures! We will refund you if you do not think you received value.
We also offer tailored private events that can be held at your premises on a day that suits you.
We will provide attendees with:
- a link to an electronic copy of our presentation,
- our POPI Mapper – a tool to map activities,
- a list of POPI Action Items so that the session translates into practical action, and
- an audio recording of the event (private sessions only).
- Legal advisors (corporate lawyers or in-house lawyers) – to provide good legal advice on privacy issues
- Compliance officers – to effectively comply with privacy laws
- IT Governance officers and specialists – to govern ICT
- Information officers – to balance access to information and protection of information
- Auditors and assurance providers (internal and external) – to audit and provide assurance regards privacy
- Risk Officers and Managers – to manage privacy risks
- Directors (executive and non-executive, CEOs and FDs) – to discharge their legal duties and direct the course of the organisation, Especially directors of organisations whose business is the processing of personal information.
- We have significant practical experience dealing with these specific areas.
- Our sessions are interactive – you are able to ask questions, have your specific issues dealt with, and influence what gets discussed.
- Our sessions are tailored to the attendees – we ask you questions in advance so that we know what your issues are and your existing level of knowledge.
- You are able to network with other people at the event.
- We do not give sales pitches, which is unfortunately so often what speakers do at conferences.
- We provide insight and simplify the issues, which can only be done after practically applying POPI to real business issues.
- We empower you and do not try to entrench ourselves in your organisation.
- The topic gets covered more comprehensively when one person leads the discussion for a day, rather than many different people covering the same ground. It is not different people covering the same issues superficially in different ways.
- We cover the same ground in one day, rather than two. This saves you time and money. We tell you what you need to know, not everything.
A practical attorney from Michalsons. We will ensure the attorney is the best person to present the course depending on the type of course, the date, the specific issues and the attendees. For example, Andrew Weeks usually presents on this topic. Andrew is a practical and internationally experienced commercial attorney, with specific expertise in the protection of health-related data and consumer protection law. He has good experience dealing with issues like open data, and the sharing and use of health data. He enjoys educating clients about the impact of data protection law on the healthcare sector.
We provide this course in different formats. Public and private sessions can last for anything from 45 minutes, half a day or a full day. We also provide eCourses that can be done via the Internet at your convenience. We welcome enquires for more information and details.
Our public events are at various venues around the world. We choose venues that are central and easy to get to, that have adequate parking, good food, and that ensure you are comfortable. We are also happy to give the POPIA workshop or executive briefing at your venue.