Most organisations depend on information technology (IT), but many people are not aware of the IT laws that apply or the legal aspects of IT Governance, Risk and Compliance (IT GRC). We can help you to practically apply these concepts to real issues that you face. You have to:
- practice good IT governance,
- manage IT legal risks, and
- comply with the IT laws, rules, codes and standards that apply to your organisation.
We can help you to do it practically and effectively. What must an organisation comply with? What should you consider? What IT legal risks should be addressed? What laws relate to information, communication and technology (ICT)? What could happen to you if you don’t comply?
We offer a presentation, seminar, workshop, or executive briefing on this topic by an expert with practical experience. We also offer an eCourse on request.
- Know what IT (and data protection) laws exist and which ones are most applicable to your organisation.
- Be up-to-date with the latest law and find quick answers to your questions.
- Identify some practical action items to focus on.
- Know how you can monitor, evaluate, and assess compliance with external legal and regulatory requirements related to IT.
What do we cover?
- Why it is important.
- An overview of IT (and data protection) laws, rules, codes and standards (both global and South African) – an analogy with a plumbing system. An overview of IT Governance, Risk and Compliance (IT GRC). What must your organisation comply with?
- The practical application of the law to real issues (like electronic signatures, IT Contracts, email disclaimers, cybercrime, social media, and cloud computing). Who is responsible? An assessment of your organisation.
- The latest developments, including recent South African case law and King IV.
- Tips for successful projects. Some quick wins and factors for success. Using frameworks – like an IT Legal Framework.
- Take home points and action items
This is not an academic workshop for students. It is for people dealing with these issues in their organisations.
“Legal experts were brilliant” delegates at an IT Governance, Risk and Compliance conference
Course Material on IT GRC
We will give you:
- our comprehensive presentation covering IT law and GRC,
- a List of IT Laws,
- a POPI word cloud,
- our POPI Mapper – a tool to map activities,
- a list of Action Items so that the session translates into practical action,
- the IT Legal Framework Top 10 Issues and a 10% discount off the full IT Legal Framework.
Annual Public workshop
Our 2017 Practical IT Governance, Risk and Compliance Law Workshop dates is now available. The cost of one delegate is R3,920 (excluding VAT). We have workshops scheduled in the following cities:
- Cape Town: 16 May 2017 from 09:00-16:00. Book your seat.
- Johannesburg: 18 May 2017 from 09:00-16:00. Book your seat.
Watch a short video with John in action and talking about the topic at a recent GRC conference in 2016. The other speakers included Mervyn King and Clem Sunter.
Who should attend and Why?
- IT Governance officers and specialists – to govern IT
- Compliance officers – to effectively comply with IT laws
- Information (protection) officers – to balance access to information and protection of personal information
- Legal advisors (corporate lawyers or in-house lawyers) – to provide good legal advice on IT issues
- Information Security Officers – to secure IT
- CIOs and IT Managers – to manage IT
- CAEs, auditors and assurance providers (internal and external) – to audit and provide assurance regards IT
- CROs and Risk Managers – to address IT legal risks
- IT Operators – to ensure that IT operates
- Directors (executive and non-executive, CEOs and FDs) – to discharge their legal duties and direct the course of the organisation
- Consultants – to advise and provide solutions on IT related issues
What sets us apart?
- We have significant practical experience dealing with these specific areas.
- Our sessions are interactive – you are able to ask questions, have your specific issues dealt with, and influence what gets discussed.
- Our sessions are tailored to the attendees – we ask you questions in advance so that we know what your issues are and your existing level of knowledge.
- We do not give sales pitches, which is unfortunately so often what speakers do at conferences.
- We provide insight and simplify the issues, which can only be done after practically applying IT laws to real business issues.
- We empower you and do not try to entrench ourselves in your organisation.
- The topic gets covered more comprehensively when one person leads the discussion for a day, than many different people covering the same ground. It is not different people covering the same issues superficially in different ways.
- We cover the same ground in one day, rather than two. This saves you time and money. We tell you what you need to know, not everything.
Who is the presenter?
A practical attorney from Michalsons. We will ensure the attorney is the best person to present the course depending on the type of course, the date, the specific issues and the attendees. For example, John Giles often presents on this topic. John is a trusted independent legal adviser, who is a practising attorney. He is currently helping many organisations govern IT, address IT legal risks, and comply with IT laws, rules, codes and standards. He has also presented over 20 times on the topic. He has 16 years of practical experience applying his knowledge to organisations to help them grow and avoid legal problems, difficulties, and disputes. He was one of the people who drafted the IT Governance chapter of King III™.
How long is it?
We provide this IT GRC course in different formats. Public and private sessions can last for anything from 45 minutes, half a day or a full day. We also provide eCourses that can be done via the Internet at your convenience. We welcome enquiries for more information and details.
If you are interested, please complete the form on the right or enquire now. We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.
Our public workshops are at various venues around the country. We choose venues that are central so you can get to it easy, that have adequate parking, good food, and that ensure you are comfortable.
We are happy to give the seminar, workshop or executive briefing at your venue. If you want a personal in-house seminar at your offices, please complete the enquire now form on the top right and we will send you a quote.