Do you have a privacy complaint or POPI complaint? Do you want to complain that someone has infringed your privacy, failed to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act), or report that someone has sent you an unsolicited communication or spam?
Your privacy complaint
In future, the correct regulatory body to complain to will be the Information Regulator, who will investigate your complaint and possibly take action against the responsible party (which might include a fine). The Information Regulator has not been appointed yet, but we are expecting the appointment to happen soon. You can therefore complain to us and we’ll try to help you, but please bear in mind that we are a law firm that charges for the services we provide. Please tell us what outcome or solution you are looking for. For example, do you want:
- To stop someone processing your personal information?
- Claim damages from the responsible party?
- Get access to information held by a body?
If you think a crime has been committed, you need to report it to the police.
Complain about spam calls and messages
Complain about how your personal information was processed
If you have a complaint about the way an organisation has processed your personal information – complain here. For example, if they:
- hold information about you that’s wrong,
- held it for too long,
- lost it or failed to secure it,
- transferred it across a border,
- gave it to someone else,
- used it for a purpose other than the one you gave it to them for.
Complain about accessing information (PAIA)
If you have a complaint about accessing information – whether it’s information:
- someone else has accessed about you, or
- information you’ve asked for from a public or private body
Concerns about cookies