What is included? The Michalsons Compliance Programme features are extensive and are set out below. Read more about it and apply.
Guidance in a structured programme format
- Access to the programme website – the place housing all the programme material online.
- Access to the content contained in the Practical Guide to Effective POPI Compliance in html format.
- Videos, visual aids and other materials.
- Alerts and updates on key developments by email.
- Summaries of any case law and rulings by courts, regulators or authorities.
Laws that are easy to read
Electronic copies of laws or regulations (like the POPI Act and GDPR) that you can search, navigate, highlight and read notes and comments by Michalsons.
Tools to Fast track your Efforts
- Templates that you can customise for:
- letters (like the appointment of an Information Officer),
- spreadsheets (like a map of activities),
- presentations (or material or outlines to include in your presentations),
- training material,
- communications (like emails),
- briefings (like an executive briefing and a CEO briefing), and
- contract clauses (like operator clauses).
- Electronic copies of handouts in Michalsons workshops.
- A List of Data Protection Laws.
- A Data Protection Legal Framework (part of the Michalsons IT Legal Framework).
- Tools (like Self-assessments, Legal Checklists, an Overlap Matrix and Mappers).
- Tools and guidance to do a Risk Assessment or Gap Analysis.
- A generic Project Plan Template (also called a risk management plan) of what is going to be done by whom when, including a roadmap.
- A template to create Project Status Reports.
Events to participate in
- Attend one full day face-to-face public workshop in Joburg or Cape Town (for example the POPI Act Awareness Workshop or the GDPR Awareness Workshop). If you have already attended one of them, you’re welcome to attend again or attend the other one.
- Attend live webinars for members only hosted by a Michalsons attorney – either a Q&A session or covering some material. Sessions are live on most Wednesday mornings and usually 60 minutes long. We record each session, share it with members and store it on the programme website. So, if you miss the live event, you can catch up in your own time.
Recordings to watch and refer to just in time
- Access to the latest version of the relevant Michalsons presentation.
- Recordings of the weekly live webinars.
Community for common issues
A place for members to talk to each other – a group or forum for each programme (like the Data Protection Programme Group) for discussion about shared issues. A problem shared is a problem halved. Many people face the same challenges and there is no competitive advantage in dealing with them. Collaborating with others to solve the common issues makes a lot of sense, especially when our common goal is to protect people from harm.
Personal Support for specific issues
- An initial private high-level readiness assessment to assess how ready your specific organisation is to start your data protection compliance efforts.
- An initial private compliance project strategy call to formulate your strategy on how to run your data protection compliance project. The call will be with a Michalsons attorney (and if necessary an expert in regulatory compliance projects) who has extensive practical experience in getting the project done. This is different to your data protection compliance strategy.
- Two calls a month to a Michalsons attorney (for a maximum of an hour per call) to answer questions (or deal with issues) specific to your organisation. We support you personally. It is like having a specialist subject matter expert on retainer. When you have a problem you just email us. If the answer is simple, we email an answer back fast. If the problem is more complex, we set a time to talk on Skype or phone. This includes two calls of up to one hour each. There is an additional charge for face-to-face meetings and unused hours do not carry over to the next month.